navbar

Madame Curie on a holiday cruise

This year Madame Curie is going on a holiday cruise. Click here to read all about her new adventures.

Monday, October 10, 2011

Gibraltar-Fowey


I asked my mom to post the last message. I thought that some of you might be getting a bit worried about me.
What was the crossing like? Well it was 19 days of calm before a storm, and 36 hours of terrible storm. To give you an idea of the first 19 days, I have translated the text messages I sent my family when I had coverage with my mobile phone. And I had already prepared a post, which I wanted to post near Finisterre, but this time UMTS did not work. Vodafone kept insisting that my dongle was allready in use!!!! Grrrr.
16/09
Passed the Gibraltar Strait!!!. I was rather nervous but it was perfect! Bye Maggie
20/09
Am now passing Cabo de Sao Vincente (south corner of Portugal)! Only 900 miles to go. Till now hardly any wind, so I am not breaking records. All is wel, have not been seesick. Bye
28/09
Hello, all is still well. Till now only light winds, and during the night a lot of fog. An now near La Coruna. Just over half way. Hope the second half is quicker. I am not seasick, manage to eat a lot and get enough sleep/rest. Bye Maggie
28/09
Am nearer to Finisterre than to La Coruna! But definetly past Vigo

28/09
My speed is 1.8 knots. But it is 100% in the right direction! Bye Maggie

28/09(this is the text I wanted to post when I was within UMTS reach, but I had trouble with Vodafone.)

A little bit further,

A little bit further. By now I have made it to La Coruna. I am sailing right along the coastline, and am officially past the halfway point!!! I’m not making record speeds, there is hardly any wind. I haven’t even had to consider reefing!!!. Usually I sail along at approximately 1.5 knots. During the nights, when the wind dies completely, I have to decide between using the engine, or accepting that the current sets me back a couple of miles. Till now I have used the engine 45 hours, which I find rather acceptable. My diesel supply will only allow me to use the engine for 100 hours, and I need to save some hours for entering the harbor in Fowey.

The last couple of days have been very mysterious because of the weather. Low hanging clouds, no wind, and beautiful colored skies. During the nights it was very humid, and rather thick fog. Rather scary. On the AIS  I can see large cargo ships at a distance of 2 to 3 miles, but when I look outside, I see none. So the last couple of days I have mainly slept during the day, and kept a lookout outside at night. I am particularly afraid of fishing vessels. Most of them do not have an AIS transponder, don ’t keep a proper look out, and sail rather fast. Till now I have had two almost collisions with fishing vessels. Both cases I was on deck, and able to change course at the very last moment. I’m sure that they had not seen me at all.

I have been able to avoid getting seasick till now.  But just to be sure I have taken quite a few seasick pills. There are hardly any waves, but there is a lot of swell. Inside you feel you are in a rollercoaster. Because ocean swell has long waves, it is a slow roll. So no smashing into things like I did on previous crossings.

Seen so far:
1x whale
1x school tuna (+/- 30)
3x jumping dolphins (+/- 20 per time)


I have watched all my movies and television series, listend to almost all audiobooks, it is time to get home.

See you in England.

06/10
Do not worry about me. All is well, just a little too much wind. Had to wait for the wind to go down to be able to enter the harbor. 10 miles to go. Am very seasick.

Like I said, the last 36 hours were terrible, lots of vomitting, high waves, I had reefed the genua to a small sail, backed it, and was still doing 6.5 knots!!!!

I am very happy I have reached Fowey, and actually I don't have the engery to type a longer post. I'm fed up, I am eager to be home. A little over 400 miles to go. Compared to the 5000 I have already travelled it's just a short distance.

I am leaving tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment