navbar

Madame Curie on a holiday cruise

This year Madame Curie is going on a holiday cruise. Click here to read all about her new adventures.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tasty fish

Today I sailed from Korcula to the National park of Mljet. Like I mentioned before, marinas are rather expesive, somewhere between 45 and 50 euros per night. But... there is an alternative. Many restaurants have a small jetty, and when the entire crew eats at the restaurant, the berthing is for free. In my case, eating with the entire crew is cheaper than a marina fee, and I don't need to cook!. I would call this a classical win-win situation. There is one small disadvantage, there are no showers. But I don't consider that as a big problem, I have a porta shower. A porta shower is a portable pressure shower, which is pressurized manually. It works fantastically. So is I have the possibility, I berth at a restaurant, to save money of course, not for the food (yeah right).
Mljet isle.
The isles here are so much greener than the previous isles.

Today I felt like treating myself to a nicely grilled fish. This means I have to look at a couple of dead fish laying on ice and picking one. I choose a scorpion fish, just because it was recommended to me. Then one of the restaurant employees takes the fish to the sea to clean it. The cook then receives it, quickly picks some fresh rosemary from a bush next to the BBQ, en seasons the fish, and generously pours homemade olive oil over it. And the grilling can start.
Just seconds before the cook wanted to place my fish on the grill, he turned away to check the fire. A seagull took advantage of the moment and tried to snatch my fish. One of the other employees of the restaurant was quick enough to prevent my fish being stolen.

Even after my fish had safely been placed on the grill, the seagull did not give up. He remained on the roof, and kept staring at the fish on the grill.
Seagull staring at my fish.
In the upper left corner you can see the Dutch flag onMadame Curie.
But I can understand that the seagull was persistent, because I received a very tasty fish on my plate. Because I must have looked a little helpless, the waiter offered to take the bones out for me. The result was fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment