navbar

Madame Curie on a holiday cruise

This year Madame Curie is going on a holiday cruise. Click here to read all about her new adventures.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Cagliari

After arriving in Cagliari, after a few well deserved hours of sleep, I set out to find a nieuw autohelm drive belt. In one word; no way! Every store, dealer of shipyard I visited they gave the same answer, while shugging their shoulders "No drive belt on Sardignia, and we cannot order one because it's August". Aparantly the entire economie comes to a stop in August, everybody is on vacation. Everywhere you look, stores, restaurants, and rental agencies you see signs saying " closed because of vacation". After two days it became very clear to me I was not going to find a belt. I will have to do the next crossing without my autopilot. Bummer.
The old city of Cagliari on the hill top
So I was back to being the tourist. The next morning I woke up early, just to avoid the most pressing heat of the afternoon, I took the bus to the old city. There I visitied the usual buildings. (I have become spoiled after visiting beautiful buildings during al my travels!) 
Amphitheater

Basilica
 But I also visited a very special museum. The old city of Cagliari is build on top of old Roman remains. Right in the middle of the city, underneath a church archeologists have vond the remains of the old city of Karalis. These remains have been made visible. You can see the road, the houses, and the sewage system!
The old city of Karalis under the "new" old city.
Visiting these excavations was the most exciting part of my visit in Cagliari.

No comments:

Post a Comment