navbar

Madame Curie on a holiday cruise

This year Madame Curie is going on a holiday cruise. Click here to read all about her new adventures.

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Gibraltar

The first night I slept tightly, but in the morning I woke up to a trembling sound. It really startled me. It sounded like it was directly next to my boat. I ran outside to see what was going on. An airplane?????????
It turns out that I am berthed 50 meters next to the landing strip.
Really just 50 meters.
And especially for my dad I took this picture. The road to the border crosses the landing strip. So if a plane lands or takes off, they close the road. When the plane is gone, they open the road again, simple as that.
Road crossing the landingstrip.
Because it appears to be impossible to buy a belt for my autohelm in the Med, I have ordered 2 via internet and had them delivered to my brother. He then send them to Gibraltar. So full of excitement I headed towards the post office the firts morning. Before I had left the pier, my fellow cruisers informed me that it was a bank holiday. This belt is cursed. Tomorrow I will try again. Would be nice to have an autohelm when crossing to England.

The rest of the story; no, no belt the next day. On the way back I stopped at the chandlery, and asked if they had one in stock. Yesssss, they have one. Initially, I was a little cheap, and told the salesman that I wanted to wait till tomorrow and see if my package would arrive. As soon as I was outside I thought, with the luck I have had with this belt, someone will buy it this afternoon, after no-one has asked about this belt for 5 years. So I immediately turned around, and bought it. It only took a few seconds to install the belt. As I turned ot on, the fuse bust. I dismantled everything and.....fuse bust again. Hmmmm. New problem. So I took the entire thing apart again, and it is an electrical problem again.Some saltwater leaked onto the print via the buttons. The autohelm is definately broken. The next morning my package arrived. So now I have 3 belts for a broken autohelm. Sigh.

But there is also lots of fun stuff in Gibraltar. The rock.
Donkere wolk boven de rots.
It is a bit chilly here, and very damp, with a cold breeze. For the fist time in months I have worn long trousers. 
Long sleeves!!!

Why do they keep turning their head?
In the rock there are caves, not as nice as the one in
Slovenia, but still fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment