navbar

Madame Curie on a holiday cruise

This year Madame Curie is going on a holiday cruise. Click here to read all about her new adventures.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Arggggggggggggggh lost my anchor

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I lost my stern anchor. As was so proud of my solution to storing it on the railing. And the bow to berthing was so much easier than the stern to. And now I have lost my anchor. I wanted to visit Nafpaktos, a pittoresque little town in the bay of Korinth. The harbor is very petite, and is surrounded by a sort of city wall.
Inside these walls is the little port.
Once inside the walls, I threw my stern anchor overboard in the middle of the harbor, and pointed the bow towards the quay. In between a Greek yacht, and a local fishing boat I could squeeze in Madame Curie. A couple of local kids playing around helped me berth the boat. When I wanted to pull the boat of the quay I noticed the anchor was gone. How is this possible???

Because I added some extra anchor chain, I had used an emergency shackle. Apparantly I did something wrong, as the anchor is no longer there. Like this it was impossible to stay, so I immediately left the port, and took anchorage outside the walls. Would I be able to retrieve the anchor? Dusk had already set in, so right now was not the time. Would I  manage 4,5 meters deep? Should I rent a diver? What would it cost? What would a new anchor cost? I was pretty sure I would not be able to dive 4.5 meters. So I decided on buying a new anchor, which is probably cheaper than renting a diver. I had already thought of buying a new anchor because the one I had was a bit small. So now I didn;t need to debate it any more, a new anchor it would be. The only thing I am sorry I missed seeing is the castle on top of the hill overlooking Nafpaktos. The only thing I could do is get a picture from the distance. Tomorrow I will buy a new anchor.
Castle on the hilltop above Nafpaktos.

No comments:

Post a Comment