navbar

Madame Curie on a holiday cruise

This year Madame Curie is going on a holiday cruise. Click here to read all about her new adventures.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Bora

Last Sunday and Monday I was very ready to leave for Piran. Even worse, I actually set my alarm clock. Inmediately after waking up I heard a strong wind in the rig. It was beautiful sunny weather, but with strong winds. Force 7 with gusts of 8. Bora is a very local phenomenon, it is cold air, that rises behind the Alps to all of a sudden fall over the ridge. Of course I had read about this phenomenon, but I now realize it really happens during lovely sunny days. So I immediately changed my plans. Plan B. There is a bus connection to Piran. So I put on my "tourist" shoes en left towards Piran, Izola and Portoroz.
Piran
Upon arrival in Piran, I was very happy that I had not sailed to Piran. All the yachts and boats in the small harbour were rocking about. As you can see in the picture of Piran the waves on the right are mucht higher than the relatively quite area near the harbour (leftside of the picture). The next picture shows the force of the waves upon hitting the shore. This detail picture was taken just to right of the church. Giant waves!!!
Currently I'm still bearthed in Koper. As soon as I have received a very important letter from home, I will leave directly toward Croatia. I'm a bit sceptical to state when this wil be. In the mean while I am enjoying the sun, eating breakfast on deck, and just sleeping in.


This is why I'm cruising the Med
 

No comments:

Post a Comment