navbar

Madame Curie on a holiday cruise

This year Madame Curie is going on a holiday cruise. Click here to read all about her new adventures.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Umag

Yes, I have started my cruise. The last couple of days in Koper I was becoming rather restless. My departure was delayed, again and again. But today at 11:15 I finally cast off the ropes and left Koper. My first trip is a modest one, 17 nautical miles, from Koper to Umag. Today's challenges were customs and clearing Europe and entering Croatia. In Koper I went to the Capitanja and the police station. I smiled a little, showed them all the requested papers, and I was free to leave Slovenia. So.....I had a little stress.....
All the people I had seen leaving the port the last couple of weeks had to sail their boat to the Capitanja for inspection, receive stamps on their papers. And I can just leave? Strange? Maybe I should ask the girls from the Marina reception. They smilingly assured me that everything was okay. Apparently everybody is happy I am leaving Koper. Today's wind was a little weak, and also from the wrong direction, so I decided to start with engine.An excellent opportunity to test and calibrate my autohelm (electronic automatic steering). The last leg, allready in Croatian waters, I hoisted my sails. Lovely, just sailing....

Sailing!!!
The apoach to Umag is rather narrow because of shoals. Just before I passed between the bouys a very expensive, big and sailing very fast speedboat arrived. Unfortunately he had right of way, so I changed my course. At the customs pier he had berthed his boat in the middle of the available space. Leaving insufficiant room for me the berth on either side. Men!!!
On entering the police station a very friendly female police agent performed all the neccesary work for entering Croatia. I stuck to the "stay friendly and smile tactic", we'll see how it goes. After give or take 20 minutes and answering al sorts of questions, resigning various papers, I thought that would pretty much round it up. But no, first I needed to visit the Harbourmasters office. Here I was able to buy a cruising permit, pay the neccesary taxes, and receive al the essential papers. The Harbour master had actually already seen my boat was in Koper on the AIS. So big brother is watching you!! But for me this "being visible" is why I invested in the AIS transponder.

5 meters away from the police station
 I am berthed 5 meters from the police station. I think This is the safest mooring ever. It is still low season, so I feel a little like the happening of the day.
Umag

No comments:

Post a Comment